Wednesday 18 May 2011

Home tour ~ Anu

Hello everyone...It is Wednesday and I am back with the promised post. This time, it is a tour through some of the rooms of my home. When I decided to buy a house, I went through the common set of important questions, advises, invaluable tips from family and friends on budget...specifications...down payment...monthly mortgage, I could afford without sweating...basement or no basement...number of rooms...etc, etc. Beyond all this practical reasonings, I wanted a bright, airy and a happy home. The house had to have a sense of belonging... After some search, I did find one!
My home is very 'me', and is decorated with a lot of greens, artifacts that I have created, stuff picked up during my travels, some from my home in Mumbai, gifts from my loved ones...Every piece has a story to tell...So without wasting much time, let me give you a quick dekho... ....Entrance. The sandstone Ganesha, the elephants and cow are from my trip about 20 yrs ago, to the famous Belur Halebid temples in Karnataka. The Buddha to bring in serenity and calmness...The Nazar Boncuk or the Blue evil eye pendant from Istanbul,... ....Foyer. A silk Kashmiri carpet picked up during my Singapore trip. A Jaisalmeri bench..., a foyer table,...some brass idols..., some greenery... ....the Saccre Acchu wall piece. Saccre Acchu meaning sugar moulds in Kannada. During Makar Shankranti, most homes in Karnataka, use thes moulds to make small sized sugar dolls, temples, animals, fruits and gift them along with a piece of sugarcane and 'Yellu' a mixture of sesame seeds, groundnuts, to family and friends.I had tons of these wooden moulds at home, so put them together to make a wall piece...these are abt 40-50 yrs old. ....the Foyer table and some greens,... ....the Urli with some roses from my garden,... ....some Greens, a Moroccan lamp and a water pitcher from a local market in Istanbul,... ...Some Brass idols, nut crackers, comb, the Ashtavinayak lamp... ...the Powder room...the elephant head pottery piece holds the room freshner,...the two faces on the wall were hand built from my pottery wastes, the tribal whistles from Bidar... ...hope you enjoyed the post...do drop in for a cuppa of masala Chai or some piping hot filter coffee...Adios, until next wednesday...

23 comments:

  1. Love love love the Jaisalmer seat Anpu!! When I come for my cuppa, that is where I'll be sipping it :-) The sacre acchu ofcourse brings back fond memories and what a tribute that wall piece is. Ingenious you are...and no am not done yet (hehehehe)...the Ganapati at the entrance with its age just looks so settled and serene...and I can go on...Bidari whistles??? NICE!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Anpu!!! you have a lovely home warm and inviting and that saccre acchu is cool, never heard of that before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful home!
    Have a nice day, kiss:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very ethnic Indian home. :-) Loved all of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH MY LORD!! Am I allowed to use all capitals?!?!?!?! I just looooove your house. Cough up your address, girl and watch yourself making chai while I lounge around the house trying to pick a spot for myself. I just loved the entrance. I am getting so many ideas from your blog. I love the musician sitting on the floor serenading the people as they walk by. Wah wah wah. Kya baat hai! I am in awe. Roses from your own garden! That is super fantastic. And what a lovely idea to get all the sakkre achhus together. Simple inspiring to all of us.

    My2

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Anpu,

    Lovely lovely home! There are boxes of Sakkare Acchu at home-lying around unused. Now I know what I can do with them! Thanks! Inspirations... :-D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the grand tour of your house! Impeccable taste, love the saccre achu idea... ingenious! Your house speaks your language... well done, Anpu!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Patricia, I found your Blog by accident and it`s real great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. lovely tour...so now when is my masalchai invite happening :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Home... Beautiful home

    Loved ur house... Loved those knick knacks iamgine making spomething out of those sugar candy makes... Unbelievable!

    ReplyDelete
  11. @ Harshi - Next time you are here...will make the Chai and you can have it on the bench..
    @Shanti - Thanks...yes Saccre Acchu is a typical Kannida ritual
    @Zondra - Thanks dear
    @Richa - Thanks...
    @Mytri - Thanks Mytri, aa jao...we can have some fun times...serious paint Atlanta orange!!!
    @RS - Thanks...yes...you can do many more stuff...check out some pics in teh next couple of posts...
    @Sudha - Thanks...bolo when are you available?
    @Meena - thanks...:-) you have a beautiful home too...waiting to have a dekho
    @Anu - Thanks dear...:-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thats a beautiful home Anpu! I liked many of the pieces in those lovely corners, must be a cherished collection right!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the achchu....& the bench very much! The entrance way is nice esp. the Ganesha with the bowl.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Each piece is carefully chosen and it reflects on how much you value life and the zest for it.. loved everything about your lovely home and cant wait to make a trip!
    Now, why didnt I think of the acchu wall piece before!

    ReplyDelete
  15. gorgeous, gorgeous house, Anu.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful house Anpu!! I LOVED the foyer - the furniture and the carpet look and go so well with each other :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ambhika - Thanks for teh lovely comment...Yes most are cherieshed and yes have a story to tell...I love your blog too...keep posting

    Geeta - Thanks so much. Next time Raj is here...pls come along with him and stay with me...

    Padmaja - Thanks dear...mi casa es tu casa...waiting... pls come soon.

    Scrbbler - Thanks dear...love your blog...

    Simran - Thank you so much...:-)Love your blog and all the posts...

    ReplyDelete
  18. FINALLY! Anpu- great to see your home. Like I've said AGAIN and again- LOVE your home and every little thing in it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very beautiful house, I saw it last month itself but I don't know, why I could not post a comment on it. Saw the second part too, it is a absolute stunner. Happy new home coming!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very beautiful house, I saw it last month itself but I don't know, why I could not post a comment on it. Saw the second part too, it is a absolute stunner. Happy new home coming!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Anpu,
    That was awesome Sakre Achu stuff!!! btw where/how did u manage to collect so many Achus ? I mean seriously...where did u get them from ?

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you.... Thank you for leaving me a note!